Volunteers will provide emotional support and information to domestic assault survivors and their family members/friends.
• Respect the confidentiality of all client/agency information.
• Be available for call-outs twice a month between 5pm and 9am weekdays, and 9am to 9am weekends and holidays (pagers are available).
• Respond to local police calls after a domestic assault is reported.
• Provide support and advocacy to primary and secondary victims of domestic violence.
• Complete required client contact forms.
• Adhere to the policies and procedures of the YWCA.
• Complete screening/training process.
• Must be at least 18 years old (men or women).
• Able to respond within 30 minutes of a page.
• Listen with compassion to someone in crisis.
• Be patient and non-judgmental in relation to survivor’s interests and attitudes.
• Able to work well under pressure.
• Spanish Proficiency Preferred.
• Basic empathy skills
• Role plays
• Domestic assault laws and information on legal processes
• Information on evidence collection/medical concerns
• Power and control wheel and common reactions to assault
• Issues of diversity
• Self-care for care givers/support providers
Volunteers contract to serve two (2) shifts a month for a minimum of one (1) year