A Volunteer CISM worker provides crisis response in unexpected community traumatic event or disaster. The event will have resulted in significant distress and psychological impairment or dysfunction of one or more people in the community. The intervention by the team member is to help normalize and reduce stress reactions and to increase coping strategies to help individuals return to normal functioning. The Gryphon Place team follows the International Critical Incident Stress Foundation (ICISF) model and all members are trained in this model. Volunteers are responsible to and supervised by Director of Crisis Services at Gryphon Place.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Applicants should have well developed interpersonal skills, an ability to establish rapport with others easily, be able to accept differences, have a high degree of self-awareness, an understanding of the infrequent nature of critical incidents, and an ability to integrate feedback about skills. Additionally, applicants must possess positive coping and problem-solving skills and be able to remain calm while helping others in emergency situations.
- Successfully complete of ICISF Group Crisis Intervention Training module or comparable training
- Co-facilitate with another team member a Crisis Debriefing Group when needed
- Be able to respond on short notice in the event of a community trauma or disaster
- Become familiar with community resources to offer group members at the end of each group
- Comply with contractual protocols and the agency policies and procedures.
- Attend continuing education trainings as offered by the agency.
- Abide by all mental health and substance abuse confidentiality regulations.
- Uphold professional standards and ethics by not pursuing personal relationships (helping, counseling, or otherwise) with Gryphon Place clients outside of the agency.
- Willingness to travel; (Counties served: Kalamazoo, Cass, St. Joseph and Van Buren.)
- Complete necessary documentation.
Volunteers will be debriefed after each incident and give each other feedback. Volunteers will be considered a member of the team until which time they have notified the Clinical Director of their wish to discontinue with the team.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- No degree is required but is preferred
- Certification of completion of ICISF Group Crisis Intervention Training and any other ICISF training modules that have been completed/ or comparable.
- Must be at least 18 years.
For CISM related questions please contact:
Kristen Smith, LMSW| Director of Clinical Operations
3245 S. 8th Street | Kalamazoo, MI 49009
Phone: 269-381-1510 | Fax: 269-381-0935